Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific 1941-45
Silent Victory is a solitaire tactical level game placing you in command of an American submarine during WWII in the Pacific. Your mission is to destroy as much Japanese shipping and as many warships as possible while advancing your crew quality and decorations - all while remembering you have to make it home.
Silent Victory is purposely designed to deliver a brisk yet intensive gaming experience that forces many decisions upon you as you take command of one of the major U.S. Fleet submarine types in service. Patrols will take you to differing parts of the Pacific as time progresses in the war. The most successful commanders will be those that can manage the risks they take while prosecuting as many targets as possible.
As a Fleet submarine commander, you will be confronting many decisions during your patrols. To begin with, seven U.S. Fleet submarines are profiled and available for you to choose from. Patrol zones reflect the changing operational areas as the war progresses, from the Philippines to Midway, the Solomons, and even patrols to the waters just off the coast of Japan and China.
Conducting patrols is the heart of the system, as you will be resolving encounters against individual ships, convoys, or even enemy aircraft and submarines. Situations you face and decisions you make suddenly come in quick succession:
- How will you engage a convoy once spotted?
- Do you close the initial target range at increased risk of detection for a more lethal attack?
- If your engagement is at night, will you conduct a surface attack?
- Do you launch one or two fire salvos, and how many torpedoes do you fire?
- Will you try to follow a convoy or ship to engage in additional rounds of combat?
- How will you slip away from escorts to avoid or minimize damage?
- What evasive maneuvers do you undertake?
- One ½” full-color counter sheet
- One ¾” wide full-color counter sheet
- Rules booklet with designer's notes
- Five player aid cards, 2-sided
- Submarine patrol logsheet, 2-sided
- Four submarine Display Mats, 2-sided
- Submarine Patrol Map
- Submarine Combat Mat
- Three 6-sided, two 10-sided dice, and one 20-sided die
Players: 1 (with options for more players)
Playing Time: 2 hours
BGG page: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154875/silent-victory-us-submarines-pacific-1941-45